Thursday, August 7, 2008

Good News is a Tall Order

I haven't been getting too hyped up about the economy problems as of late. I've curbed my spending, I try to drive less, I sell organs I don't need; whatever. Then a bit of news came crashing through my world like a drunk-driven meteor:
  • From NPR.....Starbucks will close more than 600 shops in the U.S. in the coming months, which analysts say is a consequence of the chain's spreading too far, too fast.Seattle-based Starbucks did not say which stores will be closed, only that they are spread throughout the country. But it did say most of the outlets on the chopping block are new Starbucks stores that have been open only since 2006.

WE GOT A GRANDE PROBLEM HERE PEOPLE!!!

Look, I know the standard lines.

  • "Why the hell would I pay 4.00 for a freakin' coffee??" I'll tell ya why, Jim Bob, because it's a little piece of Seattle and a little piece of Italy all wrapped up in a well-decorated and classy environment. But if you want to go to the Mobil and chug-a-gug crap coffee made with tap water you go right ahead. Oh, and it's not COFFEE that's 4.00, it's an espresso drink made just right by your friendly barrista.
  • "Why do they have to use words that aren't ENGLISH and aren't ITALIAN either?" Is it really that hard to learn Tall, Grande and Venti? Don't flip out, Martha, it's not like you are learnin' Latin. A verbis ad verbera.

  • "I don't need a Starbucks cup as a status symbol." Well, neither do I, Frank. It's just what it comes in when you order the beverage.
Blog Note: Jim Bob, Martha and Frank are fictional names representing real people.

You don't see people working on their laptops in Dunkin' Donuts. (Actually, update, reader Kate does, and commented as such. And yes, the wording was ambiguous, but I was not questioning the cleanliness of The Dunk. A new paragraph seems to have fixed it.)

Starbucks is clean, plays nice music, has a nice ambiance, and you can order cocoa if you don't like coffee.

The biggest reason for me is that it makes me feel.....at home. I've been to Starbucks in Seattle, Tucson, Denver, New York, London, Atlanta, Orlando, etc. etc. etc. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Most of them have the same feel... laid back.

Sigh. This is the first thing about the economy that has broken my bubble of denial.

7 comments:

Abandoned Garden said...

I love Starbucks for many of the same reasons you do, but especially for the fact that they offer a more superior product than their competition. A pale and clammy look came over my entire body when I heard the store closing news (even more pale and clammy than I normally am). Fortunately the 12 locations closing in Maryland will not directly affect me, and I hope will not affect you either. Here's the list if you haven't already seen it:
Park Place, 2 Park Place, Annapolis

Harborplace, 301 S. Light St., Baltimore

Belvedere, 5911 York Rd., Baltimore

Collington Plaza, 3524 N. Crain Hwy, Bowie

Beltsville I-495, 10240 Baltimore Ave., College Park

Easton Dudrow Farm, 28601 Marlboro Avenue, Easton

Montgomery Village Plaza, 18314 Contour Rd., Gaithersburg

Cloppers Mill Shopping Center, 18066 Mateny Rd., Germantown

Fairwood Green Village Center, 12530 Fairwood Parkway, Glenn Dale

Pikesville, 1433 Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville

Saint Charles Towne 11110 Mall Circle, Waldorf

Westfield, 11160 Veirs Mill Rd., Wheaton

By the way, I love your use of fictional names. I use fictional names ALL the time in a variety of ways...I even change my friends names to other fictional names for the sheer fun of it.

Kathleen said...

Oh, thank you for the info. I can breathe a bit easier; none of them affect me too. I'm surprised about the one in Harborplace and Annapolis though.

Abandoned Garden said...

The one at Harborplace was the larger location on the first floor of Light St. Pavillion, but there is a smaller Starbucks™ kiosk by the esculators on the second floor of the Gallery across the street. Harborplace rent is very expensive!

~former Harborplace employee

Kris said...

yes yes YES. Someone else see's this my way!! I LOVE starbucks...and my star bucks is just a few blocks down the street from my apartment on the corner of charles and something (i'm not good with names). I go at least once a week.

here is some GOOD news. i cant find the CNN link now. but i dont think I made this up! $2 grandes after 2 p.m. of ANY DRINK? Can I get a hell yeah?? YEAH! (I hope I didnt dream that)

Kathleen said...

hey Kris! I saw that too! Excitement abounds!

Anonymous said...

i have most certainly seen people hanging out on laptops in dunkin donuts. most dunkin donuts are just as clean and some even stay open 24 hours. i'm just saying maybe the language shouldn't be so definitive.

Kathleen said...

yes, it's true, that was a cheap punch to the Dunk. I do love Dunkin' Donuts and they have some kick butt coffee too. I defer to your reasoning. Ambiance though, yes, while clean, is just not the same.