Friday, April 18, 2008

Sayings

There are some saying roaming around out there that really get my goat. And "get my goat" is not one of them, because goats are fantastic.

At my company, our marketing director, who is a great guy, sadly used the term, "Save The Date". I HATE this phrase. Save the date? From what? Imminent disaster? Is the calendar going to eat it? I also resent the indication that the Date needs some sort of sympathy and therefore I should appeal to my better nature to save it. You know what? That's enabling the date to continue it's charade of hard times and keep putting off growing up and getting a life together for itself. It makes me want to schedule all sort of crap on that day to overwhelm the date.

I used to work at a military command center (which makes me sound way tougher than I am) and there was an Army LtCol. there who would always use the word "poop". Especially in the following context, "WHAT'S THE POOP?" "YOU GOT THE POOP ON THAT?" Guess what? Serious military command centers all of a sudden take on a Barney-like atmosphere when people of supposed rank are running around using the word poop.

Which leads me to the words I hate the most. Body parts/functions that are made to sound cutesy. For your consideration: 1)Peepers 2)Tootsies 3)Heine 4) Tinkle.

What sayings piss you off, gentle reader?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'd have to say mine is when you're working at your desk with your iPod on and someone comes up and asks 'are you busy?' Argh...that annoys the crap out of me.

Abandoned Garden said...

Hello Blogger Kate! There are two sayings that make my skin crawl...and both are fairly recent sayings that have mutated into a raging beast of this generation's vernacular.
1.)"It is what it is." This is one you hear everywhere...radio, tv, everyday conversation with friends, co-workers, etc. I've even read it in books and magazine articles.
2.)"With that said..." This one makes me vomit a little in my mouth. It's one of those transitional phrases to end a long winded comment to reach the main point of what someone is trying to say. Why not say what you mean from the beginning?!?
"Cool Beans" is another annoying saying but I could go on and on about this one, so with that said, it is what it is. ;)

Kathleen said...

LOL, Glen the last one-- "With that said.." drives me crazy.