Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Got Hustled

Dave came home the other day. "Hey!" he said, "check this internet game out! It's like crack!" And, entranced by the opiate value of a game, I did indeed check it out. Hours later he asked, "What are you doing?"

"Playing farm hustle"

The next day. "What are you up to?

"Farm Hustle."

I know now I have problem. I want people to stop talking so I can better concentrate to match up the strange manga animals (I'm not sure I see any of those on any farm, maybe a Mars farm). You have to get 3 in a row. "It's just like bejeweled!" said my friend. I took great offense. "It's so better than bejeweled." I snarked. I was ready to throw down.

I guess just the name of the game should clue you in. Farm Hustle. It's a hustle, a racket, a dark seedy underground world where you can't sleep at 4 am cause you got the shakes and only a session of farmhustle will mellow you out.

Part of it is the sounds- they just pop. It's like popping bubble wrap- you don't stop until every ounce of potential air has been extinguished from its cruel plastic chamber. In the same vein, I want the crack farm animals to find their friends and pop away.

I even told my geeky friends, "It's like that episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, when Commander Riker gets addicted to the virtual reality game because it gives him a high every time he goes up one level." Man, that episode was a powerful afterschool special. Denying knowledge of the episode, (LIARS) They looked at me in horror and said, "first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem."

Special thanks to Chris over at Cute With Chris in passing the addiction to my boyfriend who passed it to me.

2 comments:

Abandoned Garden said...

OK...I'm not going to deny my geekdom, but that ST:TNG episode where Riker gets "hooked" on the electronic Risa mind game and infects everyone else on board...wasn't that sappy-sweet relationship between Wesley Crusher and Ensign Robin Lefler a.k.a. Ashley Judd just adorable?!? C'mon...admit it!!! ;o)

Kathleen said...

Wow! Reader Glen, you are a brave individual. You've not only confirmed knowledge of the episode, but you brought up another plot point! And it was adorable! Well done!